THE CALL BOX

I was on Liverpool Street Station making a call Then as I called the number, my mobile went flat, it was urgent to make this call, so I looked around for a call box. Outside I found one not in use, dropped in enough coins and called the number. The ringing tone sounded different, but I thought that was because I was on a land line, anyway this guy came on and said, "London Wall 3481." I was taken aback and said , "I am sorry I must have a wrong number." Then just as I was about to end the call the guy said, "Harry, Harry Greenback?" Well what could I say, thats my name; I replied in a curious tone, "Er yes thats my name, who are you, whats going on?" The guy replied in a voice that sounded urgent, he said, "Just listen, you have strayed into a time warp, we have scanned your mobile, thats how we know your name. Now stay where you are, do not leave the phone box."
I thought it was a practical joke, well would you take that seriously? So I stepped out of the phone box, as I did the place did not look the same; difficult at first to say how but then I was mesmerised. The people were all dressed differently, there were cars passing and they were decades old, all of them. For a moment I thought I was in some street event, then thought I would go back into the station.
Inside the station I was blown away, this was not Liverpool Street Station, the service shops had gone, the trains at the platforms were all steam trains. i shook my head and wondered what was going on, at least until I mentally logged on to that guy in the phone call, he said I 'had strayed into a time warp.'  I started arguing with myself  that I would ever believe such a thing, "Aw come on this is not Star Trek." But none the less I hurried back outside the station to phone box I had used.
I waited a few minutes until a woman had finished, then when she was I could not believe what I thought I had seen, she just seemed to disappear, slowly fading.  "My god whats happened?" I exclaimed as  I hurried into the phone box, looking all around for the woman, then I searched for some coins, then dropped them into a machine that was different to the one I had used earler. It took a while to figure it out and then when I did the coins I had would not be accepted by the coin box. "Whats the came? this cannot be for real!"
i dashed outside and stopped a man with a bowler hat on, "Sir," I began, "I know it sounds stupid but what is todays date?" He looked at me and smiled, then he replied, "Late night my boy? Its Friday 29th." He then began to walk away but I called him, "Sir I am sorry, I have amnesia or something, what year?" The man shook his head as he replied, "If I was you I would have no more alcohol, its August my boy, 1964." I thanked him as he walked away, but felt very much affraid, this was begining to be wierd.
I had not noticed until now that people were looking at me, my appearance was so different to there's, one man was taking a photograph of me. I was just about to return to the station when I heard the telephome in the phone box ring. I do not think I have ever moved so fast in all of my life. I was hardly through the door and picking up the reciever, "Hello Harry Greenback here." There was a short moment of silence then a voice replied it sounded like the guy I had spoken to before, "You have been very foolish, I told you to stay there, that woman who was in the phone box, she is now in your time zone, we thought it was you. This time stay where you are."  With that the call was ended and I returned the reciever to its place.
Outside the phone box two people were waiting to use the telephone and could not understand why I was just standing there. I was just about to open the door to tell them I would not be long, "Just waiting for a call." , when everything seemed to go starnge outside of the phone box, sought of foggy. It soon cleared and what I could see shook me rigid,  it looked as if I was back where I should be. There was a woman outside who was crying, she was dressed in the same clothes as the place I had been, I think she was the woman in the phone box who disappeared. I said to her, "Just go back into the phone box and wait, it will be alright, believe me.
As I walked away I watched her go into the phone box, then after a few seconds she just disappeared.
I hurried into the station and went to Mobile Phone shop bought myself an emergecy charger and made my call.
I think I will avoid call boxes in future.

Comments