THE MUFFIN GIRL by John W Townsend.

On a quite road near Juan Place there is a small cafe called Mon Picalo. It is there every day that a mysterious girl arrives, always at 10am everyday except maybe Saturdays and Sundays, Those days I cannot say.
I say mysterious because she is like a girl that is caught in a time warp. She is young, wears the same red dress, black shoes, her hair voluptuous dark brown and with curls, exceedingly pretty, yet her face tells a story that drags you in, makes you start asking questions, like, who are you, why do you come here, where do you live? All such thoughts stay intact, within your mind, you are just the spectator of what goes on, the journalist without port folio.
So what is it about this girl that causes me so much curiosity? Well let me explain.
I work opposite in Prima Buildings, I have an office on the second floor that overlooks cafe Mon Picalo, so it is no surprise my wayward eyes noticed her.
Well notice I did, only to be drawn into her life, I even call her The Muffin girl, why? Well that is what she is to me, you see everyday she orders two Muffins, I think with poached eggs inside, and a Latte. Everyday she sits by the cafe window looking outwards eating her Muffins, always the same time, Monday to Friday.
This has gone on for nearly two years, I think I love her, but I hate Muffins and do not eat eggs, so I just sit and stare at her. One day I thought she saw me and I am sure she waved, I did not know what to do, I did not want to appear as if I was stalking her.
So why do I talk about my Muffin Girl? Sounds silly but I am depressed, three weeks she has not appeared, no sign of her at all. I look out always on time, but she has vanished.
Now today I am so depressed, the Cafe Mon Picalo has put a sign up, 'FOR SALE' Oh what am I to do?
Well I have a plan, let me run it before you.
I will buy the cafe, and when she returns I will sell her her Muffins, I will see her everyday. Maybe she will fall in love with me, then I would give her Muffins everyday for free.

Comments