OSBORNE HOUSE - Isle of Wight by JOHN W Townsend.

Some weeks ago I heard a knock at the door, it was early evening, half light you might say. When I opened the door no one was there, well, let me say I saw no one, but I felt like someone was there. I looked up and down the road saw no one, even called out 'Hello! Anyone there?'
It was at that point that I called out that I heard a faint mettalic noise, as if something hitting the ground nearby. I walked across to look on the ground amid the evening gloom. 'Oh my!' I exclaimed, as my eyes peered at a golden pen on the ground, well to my eyes it looked posh, it's gold appearance glistened in the light from my hallway.
I bent down to pick it up and as I did distinctly hear a rather gruff female voice say, 'Dam!' followed by footsteps walking away. I looked in the direction of the footsteps and saw no one, then I glanced at the pen. 'Well, well, well, it's hallmarked!' it really was a golden pen.
The interesting thing was where did it come from, and who said 'Dan!' then ran? Kind of seemed all linked, or was that my imagination, maybe I heard a nieghbors TV.
Two weeks passed by, my curiosity in the pen caused me to do some research, it did seem rather posh and posh it turned out to be. It was enscribed 'HRH QUEEN VICTORIA 1887 GOLDEN JUBILEE -  Joseph Gillott Royal Pen Maker.' Who would believe an auto mechanic would be holding a pen belonging to Queen Victoria, some 130 years ago. Even more a thought, where did it come from? Why was it outside my home?
Since finding that pen I have felt an unease, like something was not right, not only that I was sure that someone was nearby, as if moving wherever that pen was.
Yesterday I had a business call, a client needed my help, his delivery van had broken down, it was only 20 minutes away, so I agreed to the call out.
I had taken a shine to the royal pen so it was tucked neatly in my jacket wherever I went, yesterday included. Now get this, as I climbed into by truck I noticed the passenger door was open, it was closed when I loaded my tool kit. It bought over me a cold chill, kind of pulled the unease of the last few weeks into a package deal. I even sat in the truck and asked aloud, 'Anyone in here?' Now this gets me ready for a breakdown, I heard a voice reply, 'Get these horses out of here my man.' I even replied sheepishly, 'Ye-yes mam!' Oh there was no one there that I could see, but I drove like I had a fire in my pants.
As I headed towards the Call-out breakdown location, that voice spoke again, this time very affirmative. 'Stop these horses at once my man!' I replied as before, 'Ye-ye-yes mam!' As I did I pulled into a layby ahead.
The voice then told me in a very authorative voice, 'Albert is a distant relative of yours, that will be on his brothers side. Sadly my dear Albert passed away twenty six years ago. I must carry out one of Alberts wishes, that on our Golden Wedding Day he was going to bequeth Osborne House on the Isle of Wight to any surviving member of his family one hundred and thirty years in the future. I came to your door with papers for you to sign, but I felt I was dreaming, dropped my pen and ran away with the papers. I believe you have that pen, you may keep it my man.' I listened to this voice, in awe and struck with silence, was this Queen Victoria who is talking to me? I could not see anyone.
As if from out of thin air a rolled up document appeared, tied with a purple ribbon, it appeared as if being handed to me. The voice then said, 'Do not waste time reading it, just sign it with the pen I dropped, then roll it up and hand it to me. When I return you will no doubt hear from the legal chancory that you will be the owner of Osborne House, our holiday home. Now please sign. I am being urged to hurry by the young man who bought me here, Mr. Herbert G Wells. I told him about Alberts legacy, he kindly told me he had a machine that could take me into the future to meet you, how charming, do you not think.' I replied as if dumb or stupid 'Yes ye- ye- yes mam, your Majesty.' Then I hurridly signed the papers, rolled them up and handed them as if in the air where I took them. I felt as if a hand pulled them from me, then I offered the pen, but the voice said, 'Keep it as a momento, Mr. Wells is saying we must leave in two minutes. I bid you a good day my man, Albert would have been so pleased.'
The truck door opened, i just looked amazed at all this. I heard distant voices then a flash of light appeared in the layby, the light of which hung around for several seconds, I sat looking holding the pen.
This morning I had a knock at my door, a man handed me a letter that seemed quite offical.
Indoors I opened the letter it was from The Lord Chancellors Office, it said I must contact them regarding a property that I have been bequethed by royal deed.
I did call them an hour ago, apparantly I am the new owner of Osborne House on The Isle of Wight. I am scared to go there tomorrow to meet the legal team i have to see.

Comments